5 Interesting Facts About Arunachal’s Hollongi Airport
First Published: 19th November, 2022 7:58 IST
PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate the airport on Saturday
It is a historic day for Arunachal Pradesh today. The state will get its first greenfield airport, the Donyi Polo Airport. Prime Minister Narendra Modi would be inaugurating the airport that holds a lot of hope and promise for the people of the frontier state bordering China and the region. The new airport is located only 15 kilometres from Itanagar, the state capital of Arunachal Pradesh.
Prior to the Donyi Polo airport, the state had three airports: Pasighat in East Siang district, Tezu in Lohit district, and Ziro in Lower Subansiri district, which was closed last month.
Here are some interesting facts about the airport.
1. The name Donyi Polo reflects the Arunchali peoples’ age old reverence to Sun ‘Donyi’ and the Moon ‘Polo’. in Arunachal. Pradesh.
2. “The Great Hornbill Gate” at the entrance of the airport is made of bamboo and cane and is designed by Arunachali architect Aroty Panyang from East Siang district.
3. Built at a cost of Rs 646 crore, the airport has a capacity to accommodate 300 passengers during peak hours and handle B-737 and A – 320 type aircrafts.
4. The airport is equipped with ILS and CAT-I approach lighting system for all weather operations.
5. Initially, low-cost carriers IndiGo and FlyBig will operate flights from Hollongi. IndiGo will begin service on November 28th, with flights to Kolkata and Mumbai every day except Wednesday.
The airport, which was conceived in 2005, received preliminary approval in January 2019. It was finished in September of this year, and the Union Cabinet decided to rename it Donyi Polo Airport, after one of the major indigenous tribal faiths practised in the state.
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live Ex-APPSC Chairman Nipo Nabam says allegations against him are misleading and false06th December 2022
Live NGT cracks whip on Mizoram govt for poor handling of stone quarry mishap, orders ABCI Infra to pay Rs 2.4 cr to 12 victims’ families06th December 2022
Live Silchar Dental College rusticates 14 students from hostel for ragging06th December 2022
Live Newly appointed United Naga Council executives take charge for 2022-26 tenure06th December 2022
Ex-APPSC Chairman Nipo Nabam says allegations against him are misleading and false
The ex-chairman has issued a statement clarifying his stand and said that he has been and will continue to cooperate with the investigation06th December 2022
SIC arrests 2 more in APPSC paper leak scam, total 27 arrested so far
The arrested duo are 32-year-old Golly Ketan and 29-year-old Goy Ketan, both hails from Jomlo Mongku village in Siang district05th December 2022
AYSU stresses it’s demand for bifurcation of Keyi Panyor District from Lower Subansiri District
The All Yachuli Students’ Union ( AYSU ) has once again reiterated its demand for bifurcation of Keyi Panyor District from the existing Lower Subansiri District. Informing that they have been monitoring and following this issue for more than a year now, AYSU raised questions on why their genuine demands are not being fulfilled by […]05th December 2022
At least 90 Organistaions, parents, students at rally to protest APPSC Paper Leak Scam
ANSU has shared its charter of demands asking immediate arrest of chairman, secretary members, and all the officials of APPSC, ED and Court-monitored probe03rd December 2022