5 Interesting Facts About Arunachal’s Hollongi Airport
First Published: 19th November, 2022 7:58 IST
PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate the airport on Saturday
It is a historic day for Arunachal Pradesh today. The state will get its first greenfield airport, the Donyi Polo Airport. Prime Minister Narendra Modi would be inaugurating the airport that holds a lot of hope and promise for the people of the frontier state bordering China and the region. The new airport is located only 15 kilometres from Itanagar, the state capital of Arunachal Pradesh.
Prior to the Donyi Polo airport, the state had three airports: Pasighat in East Siang district, Tezu in Lohit district, and Ziro in Lower Subansiri district, which was closed last month.
Here are some interesting facts about the airport.
1. The name Donyi Polo reflects the Arunchali peoples’ age old reverence to Sun ‘Donyi’ and the Moon ‘Polo’. in Arunachal. Pradesh.
2. “The Great Hornbill Gate” at the entrance of the airport is made of bamboo and cane and is designed by Arunachali architect Aroty Panyang from East Siang district.
3. Built at a cost of Rs 646 crore, the airport has a capacity to accommodate 300 passengers during peak hours and handle B-737 and A – 320 type aircrafts.
4. The airport is equipped with ILS and CAT-I approach lighting system for all weather operations.
5. Initially, low-cost carriers IndiGo and FlyBig will operate flights from Hollongi. IndiGo will begin service on November 28th, with flights to Kolkata and Mumbai every day except Wednesday.
The airport, which was conceived in 2005, received preliminary approval in January 2019. It was finished in September of this year, and the Union Cabinet decided to rename it Donyi Polo Airport, after one of the major indigenous tribal faiths practised in the state.
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live Historic: UNLF signs peace pact with GoI29th November 2023
Live #LinDeep: Randeep-Lin ties the knot following Meitei rituals and traditions29th November 2023
Live Eastern Sumi Hoho to join ENPO at an event tomorrow29th November 2023
Live Meghalaya CM Sangma visits ongoing National Boxing Championship29th November 2023
Arunachal: 2 abducted employees of a construction company returns home after 13 days in captivity
The junior engineer-Sashan Yadav and the supervisor-Liamgao Pansa were released by their captors last evening, 13 days after they were abducted29th November 2023
Arunachal: JACPMKSY allege misuse of Rs 400 cr, demands urgent investigation and action
The committee alleges that a significant amount of Rs. 103.40 crores was mismanaged and transferred to private accounts illegally28th November 2023
Arunachal Pradesh: 10 days on, no trace of JE and Supervisor abducted from Longding district
Over 10 days have passed by, the security forces are yet to make a breakthrough in the case26th November 2023