Mizoram votes today, 174 candidates including 16 women candidates in the fray
First Published: 7th November, 2023 7:02 IST
A total of 8,57,063 voters - 4,13,062 male and 4,39,026 female voters expected to vote today to select the 40 MLAs for the 9th Mizoram Assembly
The fate of 174 candidates including 16 women candidates would be decided today as Mizoram, the eastern state of India goes to polls today.
There will be single phase voting for the 40 seats of the 9th Mizoram Assembly.
While Chief Minister Zoramthanga, who heads the ruling Mizo National Front (MNF), is looking for a fourth term in office, Congress under the leadership of its new President Lalsawta is pulling all stops to make a comeback after ruling the state for five terms. BJP, an ally of the MNF in NDA and NEDA (North East Democratic Alliance) who had won just one seat in the 2018 elections is definitely trying to improve their tally. The new regional party in the state, Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM), headed by retired IPS officer Lalduhoma, is working towards wresting power from the MNF and forming the next government and scripting history.
Voting starts at 7 AM and will end at 4PM. Counting of votes will take place on December 3.
KEY CANDIDATES & CONSTITUENCIES:
- AIZAWL EAST-I:
a. In Aizawl East-I, Chief Minister Zoramthanga is seeking re-election after winning the seat in 2018 polls. Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) Vice-President Lalthansanga while the Congress has fielded Lalsanglura Ralte.
a. ZPM leader and chief ministerial candidate Lalduhoma is contesting from the seat against MNF newcomer J Malsawmzual Vanchhawng and Congress Candidate R Vanlaltluanga.
a. Hachhek, in Mamit district near the Tripura border, will likely see an intense battle between Congress MLA Lalrindika Ralte and current state Sports Minister Robert Romawia Royte.
- AIZAWL WEST-III: Aizawl West-III is expected to witness a three-way fight between MNF, ZPM, and the Congress. ZPM MLA VL Zaithanzama will face off against Congress President Lalsawta and MNF candidate K Sawmvela.
Tawnluia is the current Deputy Chief Minister of Mizoram along with several portfolios including the Public Health Engineering Department, Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation Department and Personnel and Administrative Reforms. He is also the vice president and one of the prominent leaders of the Mizo National Front (MNF) in the state. He has been representing the Tuichang Assembly constituency in the Mizoram Assembly since 2018. He is pitted against C Lalhriatpuia of Congress and W Chhuanawma of ZPM. He is five times MLA from tuichang, Khawzawl and Lokicherra constituencies. He joined the MNF in 1963 and was the former commander-in-chief of the disbanded Mizo National Army (MNA).
a. Vanlalhmuaka, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Mizoram state president is contesting from Dampa. He is contesting the upcoming Mizoram Assembly Election from the Dampa constituency against Mizo National Front’s (MNF) Lalrintluanga Sailo, Lalhmingthanga Sailo of Congress and Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) Vanlalsailova. In the 2018 Mizoram Assembly Election, he contested from the Serlui constituency and finished fourth with 12.20 per cent of votes behind MNF, Congress and independent candidates. He lost as an independent candidate from the same constituency in 2008 by securing just 11.28 per cent of votes. Vanlalhmuaka was the general secretary of the state BJP when he was unanimously declared elected as the party’s state unit president in 2020.
- AIZAWL SOUTH-I (ST): This constituency will see a contest between all the major parties including AAP. The INC has fielded Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu, the only woman MLA in the history of Mizoram since statehood. Chawngthu had won the seat upon winning a by-election in 2014. For a state that has a higher number of women voters than male voters it would be interesting to see how the women would fare, especially after the Women’s Reservation Bill was passed.
- TUIVAWL: The incumbent School Education and Labour, Employment Minister of the state, Lalchhandama Ralte, is contesting from this constituency where he had won with a margin of 3 votes in 2018. He is pitted against ZPM candidate JMS dawngliana, BJP’s K Changliana, and INC’s R. L. Pianmawia. It was Pianmawia who was ousted by Lalchhandama Ralte.
- MAMIT: Mamit will see a contest between two ex-MNF. Lalrinliana Sailo, the Speaker of Mizoram, had resigned from the MNF upon being denied a ticket to contest. He joined the BJP. He had earlier contested from the Chalfilh constituency. He shall be up against H. Zorempuia who was former MNF Joint Secretary but now represents ZPM. The MNF has fielded H. Lalzirliana, the sitting MLA from Mamit against the ex-party members.
FIVE CLOSELY FOUGHT CONSTITUENCIES IN THE 2018 MIZORAM ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS:
- In Tuivawl, MNF candidate Lalchhandama Ralte defeated Congress candidate R L Pianmawia by a margin of 3 votes.
- In Lunglei East, MNF candidate Lawmawma Tochhawng defeated independent candidate Lalrinpuii by a margin of 72 votes.
- In Lunglei West, MNF candidate C Lalrinsanga defeated Congress candidate Chalrosanga Ralte by a margin of 77 votes.
- In Aizawl South ii, independent candidate Lalchhuanthanga defeated MNF candidate Denghmingthanga by a margin of 179 votes.
- In Tawi, MNF candidate R Lalzirliana defeated independent candidate R Lalthatluanga by a margin of 184 votes.
Here is the list of 16 women candidates contesting from 18 seats:
B. LalawmpuiI, MNF contesting from Aizawl East-II
Baryl Vanneihsangi of ZPM contesting from Aizawl South-III
C. Llalrinmawii is contesting as an Independent form Tuikum
F Lalremsangi of BJP is contesting from Aizawl South-I
K Vanlalruati of BJP is contesting from Serchhip
Lalhmachhuani is contesting as an Independent candidate from Aizawl East-II
Lalhmunsiami is contesting as an Independent from Tuichang
Lalhrilzeli Hlawndo is contesting as an Independent from Aizawl West-III, Aizawl East-I and Aizawl North – I
Lalramdinghgheti is contesting as an Independent from Mamit and Dampa
Lalrinpuii is contesting as an Independent from Aizawl North-II
Lalrinpuii of ZPM is contesting from Lunglei East
Meriam l Hrangchal of Congress is contesting from Lunglei South
Prova Chakma of MNF is contesting from West Tuipui
R Lalbiaktluangi of BJP is contesting from Lundlei West
Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu of Congress is contesting from Aizawl South-I
- Meriam L Hrangchal – Lunglei South
- Prova Chakma – West Tuipui
- Lalruatfeli Hlondo – Aizawl East -I & North I
- B. Lalawmpuii -Aizawl East -II
- C. Lalrinmawii – Tuikum
- Lalrinpuii – Aizawl North -II
- Lalhrilzeli Hlondo – Aizawl West -III
- Baryl Vanneihsangi – Aizawl South III
- Lalhmachhuani -Aizawl East II
- F. Lalremsangi – Aizawl South I
- Lalhmunsiami -Tuichang
- K. Vanlalruati – Serchhip
- Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu – Aizawl South I
- Lalrinpuii – Lunglei East
- Lalramdingngheti – Mamit & Dampa
- K. Lalbiaktluangi – Lunglei West
Also Read: Mizoram Polls 2023: Whose Gaddi will it be?
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live Manipur bank heist: Rs. 18.85 cr gone in 10 minutes01st December 2023
Live Eastern Sumi Hoho gets associated with ENPO01st December 2023
Live Mizoram: Rally against counting of votes on Sunday01st December 2023
Live Mizoram: Exit Poll 2023: ZPM chief Lalduhoma confident of forming Govt01st December 2023
Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
The exit polls said that two regional players in Mizoram - MNF and ZPM - are in the race to form government in Mizoram01st December 2023
Mizoram: Sqn Leader Manisha Padhi appointed as India’s first female ADC
Sqn Leader Manisha Padhi previously served at Air Force Station, Bidar, Air Force Station, Pune, and Air Force Station, Bhatinda, is now the ADC to Mizoram Governor29th November 2023