Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

Manipur re-imposes ban on mobile internet for next 5 days after fresh protests

First Published: 26th September, 2023 21:56 IST

It was only on September 23, when the state government completely lifted the ban on mobile internet that had been put in place on May 3

Within 3 days of lifting the ban on internet, the Manipur government today re-imposed the ban on mobile internet services for next five days with immidiate effect following fresh protests in the state.

It was only September 23, when the state government completely lifted the ban on mobile internet that had been put in place on May 3 following eruption of ethnic clashes in the state.

The government today said that it has decided to suspend or restrict mobile internet data services in the state for the next 5 days due to the current situation of law and order in the state and the reported spread of misinformation, false rumors, and other violent activities through various social media platforms.

“In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the State of Manipur, the State Government views very seriously with utmost sensitivity the reported spread of disinformation, false rumours and other types of violent activities through various social media platform such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. on electronic equipments like tablet, computer, mobile phone etc and sending bulk SMS likely facilitating and/or mobilization of mobs of agitators and demonstrators, which may cause loss of life and/or damage to public/private property or aggravates the law and order situation in the State. The State Government decides to suspend /curb the mobile internet data services, internet/data services through VPN in the territorial jurisdiction of the State of Manipur for 5(five) days with immediate effect till 7:45 PM of 01-10-2023,” read the notification issue by Manipur government.

Everyone has been directed to comply with the order and if any person found guilty for violating the order will be liable for legal action, said the government.

Manipur has been on the boil since May 3, 2023 after a violent clash broke out between two comunities in the state.

According to Manipur Police data, since May 3, the violence claimed 175 lives, 1,118 people sustained injuries and 32 are missing. At least 5,172 cases of arson — including 4,786 houses and 386 religious places took place. As many as 96 bodies remain unclaimed.

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Manipur: Complete Ban on Plastic from April 15, Violators to be Fined Upto Rs 2000

Manipur: Complete Ban on Plastic from April 15, Violators to be Fined Upto Rs 2000

04th April 2025
Banner
Operation Across Manipur: Security Forces Recover 24 Weapons and IEDs in 5 Days

The targeted operations were conducted in Churachandpur, Imphal West, Kangpokpi, Imphal East, and Bishnupur districts

04th April 2025
Banner
7 Manipur MLAs Meets NEDA Convenor and Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma in Guwahati Today

The delegation requested CM Sarma to impress the Kuki community leaders from Assam to help restore peace in Manipur.

04th April 2025
Banner
Road to Peace in Manipur: Meitei CSOs To Leave Today for MHA Meet In Delhi Tomorrow

Road to Peace in Manipur: Three-member AMUCO delegation led by Nando Luwang is set to travel to the national capital today.

04th April 2025
Banner
“Both Communities Should Take Route of Dialogue, Next Meeting to be Held in Delhi”: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha

Manipur: HM said that the Union government is not in favour of continuing President's Rule in the State even for a "single day".

04th April 2025