Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

HNLC’s peace talks: Govt waiting for HNLC’s response, says CM Sangma

First Published: 14th September, 2023 18:41 IST

CM Sangma said that when a response is received, the government will go ahead with talks

The Meghalaya government is awaiting response from the banned militant outfit the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) to move forward with second round of the peace talks.

CM Sangma said that the government has communicated to the outfit and as and when a response is received, the government will go ahead with the talks.

Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said that in talks like this the government needs to ensure that there is movement from all the sections. All the stakeholders need to ensure the commitment to whole discussion.

CM Sangma said that the government must make sure that there is movement from all the sectors in discussions like these. All parties involved must ensure commitment to whole discussion.

“Since multiple stakeholders are involved in the peace talks, we need clarity from every side, “CM Sangma added.

When asked about court’s summon to HNLC general secretary, Sainkupar Nongtraw to appear before it on September 20 in connection with a NIA case, the CM responded that the HNLC had been informed that the case was an old one that was still being processed.

It may be mentioned here that Nongtraw was charged under Section 120 (B) and Section 121 IPC read with Section 25 9 (i-b) in a case at Sohra Police Station, the details of which were not divulged by police.

The tripartite peace talks between the Centre, the State government and HNLC began in June this year.

The first round of formal peace discussions had already taken place, during which a comprehensive array of issues had been thoroughly deliberated.

Also Read: Meghalaya CM launches Northeast Fruit Wine Incubation centre to boost local wine industry

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Meghalaya Govt Has Started Process to Return Funds to Centre Meant For Land Acquisition for Rail Projects: CM Sangma

The funds being returned were for land acquisition related to the proposed railway project in Khasi Hills, including the Byrnihat–Shillong route

04th April 2025
Banner
HYC Storms NEIGRIHMS Director’s Office, Demands Review Parity in Men-Women Recruitment

The protestors caught the director off guard with their surprise gherao, compelling him to step out of his office and address their concerns directly.

04th April 2025
Banner
Ryndia: Meghalaya’s Soulful Silk Gets GI Tag. Here’s All You Need to Know About This Fabric

In Shillong, the heartbeat of Meghalaya’s creative pulse, Ryndia has long been a canvas for expression

04th April 2025
Banner
Cricket Icon Sachin Tendulkar Along With His Wife And Daughter Arrives in Guwahati for a Week-Long Visit to Assam and Meghalaya

Sachin Tendulkar: During their two-day stay in Kaziranga, the Tendulkar family will enjoy both jeep and elephant safaris.

03rd April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya Governor Constitutes Two All-Party Committees on Railway Projects in State and Winter Capital in Tura

Railway Projects and Winter Capital: Both committees will comprise of 2 representatives from each of recognised, registered political parties.

03rd April 2025