Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

Absconding Tura MDC Bernard Marak in Delhi, claims top police sources

First Published: 25th July, 2022 13:17 IST

The BJP on Sunday condemned the raid on Bernard Marak’s farmhouse on the outskirts of Tura terming it uncalled for.

Top police sources have claimed that Bernard Marak may have landed up in Delhi. Marak had earlier in a video release admitted that he had traveled to Guwahati for his safety. Now police sources are saying that the Meghalaya BJP vice president has fled to Delhi.

Meanwhile, a full-blown political war is brewing in the Hill state with the BJP standing firmly behind its state vice president Bernard Marak who has been accused of running a brothel and a prostitution racket.

The BJP on Sunday condemned the raid on Bernard Marak’s farmhouse on the outskirts of Tura terming it uncalled for.

BJP state president Ernest Mawrie stated that Marak called him earlier in the day stating that his life was under threat and that he needed protection. Mawrie urged the government to ensure the safety of Bernard Marak.

While Mawrie refused to directly target the NPP for the police action, he stated that it was clear some political party was behind the entire episode.

Mawrie’s statement comes at a time when Tura MDC and state BJP vice president Bernard Marak have openly stated that the NPP was trying to sabotage the BJP’s rise in Garo Hills and that Chief Minister Conrad Sangma ordered the police to gun him down.

In the presence of minors in the farmhouse, Mawrie claimed that those were underprivileged children provided shelter by the Tura MDC at his premises.

The BJP said that it was obvious that the allegations have been made to tarnish the image of BJP State Vice President & Convener of Garo Hills, Bernard Marak due to his growing popularity in Garo Hills specifically Tura South.

Absconding Meghalaya BJP leader and Tura MDC Bernard Marak earlier gave a political twist to the charges of allegedly running a brothel and prostitution racket levelled against him.

Bernard, who has been absconding since the raid at a farmhouse owned by him, broke his silence on the entire matter making some sensation allegations.

Marak, while dismissing all allegations levelled against him, claimed that the Meghalaya Police under the instruction of Chief Minister Conrad Sangma had planned to gun him down over fake charges.

The Meghalaya BJP vice president alleged that the allegations have been levelled to tarnish his image and create a fear psychosis among BJP supporters.

Marak said that since the time he won the Tura district council seat, the NPP has been trying to target him to thwart the rise of the BJP in Garo Hills.

The state BJP vice president also clarified that he was forced to go to Guwahati since the police were after his life. Stating that he is not absconding, Marak said he was trying to place the truth in front of everyone.

COMMENTS

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Meghalaya: Mallangkona Police Outpost, built with people’s contribution inaugurated by CM Conrad Sangma

Speaking on the occasion, CM Conrad Sangma said that in other critical locations across the state similar police setups would be put in place to ensure protection of the citizens.

21st June 2024
Banner
Meghalaya: Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi files FIR against YouTuber for accusing him of corruption, says “will resign…if proven guilty”

Kharlukhi threatened to file defamation case against anyone who wrongfully tried to accuse him of corruption charges.

20th June 2024
Banner
Meghalaya: Rajya Sabha MP Dr WR Kharlukhi to retire from politics in 2026

Kharlukhi was elected as MP to the Rajya Sabha as NPP candidate in 2020 defeating Congress Candidate Mr Kennedy C Khriem

20th June 2024
Banner
Meghalaya Dy CM chairs meeting with 3 district councils on uniformity of ST certificates

The meeting was also attended by Social Welfare Minister Paul Lyngdoh.

20th June 2024
Banner
Meghalaya Govt approves enforcement of Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) from July 1

MDA Goverment spokesperson and Social Welfare Minister Paul Lyngdoh said that the cabinet also approved the guidelines for compulsory crime scene investigation by forensic teams

20th June 2024