Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

UK: Prince Harry loses court battle over loss of security protection, plans to challenge decision

First Published: 29th February, 2024 9:19 IST

The legal action against the Home Office commenced in February 2020, when it was determined that Prince Harry would no longer receive the "same degree" of protection while in the


Prince Harry faced a legal setback as he lost a court challenge against the UK government’s decision to withdraw taxpayer-funded protection after stepping back from royal duties, CNN reported.
The legal action against the Home Office commenced in February 2020, when it was determined that Prince Harry would no longer receive the “same degree” of protection while in the country.
In December, during the court hearing, Harry’s lawyers argued that the decision singled him out and treated him less favourably, CNN reported, citing British news agency PA Media.
According to the news agency, the lawyers also emphasised the failure
to consider the potential impact on the UK’s reputation in case of a successful attack on Harry, who has been residing in California with his wife Meghan since July 2020.
However, the court ruled that the decision was justified and devoid of procedural unfairness. Despite the setback, Prince Harry’s legal spokesperson confirmed his intention to appeal.
“The Duke is not asking for preferential treatment, but for a fair and lawful application of RAVEC ‘s own rules, ensuring that he receives the same consideration as others in accordance with RAVEC’s own written policy,” the spokesperson told CNN, referring to the body that arranges security for the royals.
Following the ruling, a Home Office spokesperson told CNN: “We are pleased that the Court has found in favour of the Government’s
position in this case, and we are carefully considering our next steps. It would be inappropriate to comment further.
“The UK Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.”
Prince Harry has been vocal about his family’s security, often drawing parallels between his wife’s treatment and the challenges faced by his late mother, Princess Diana. This legal case is one of several lawsuits involving Prince Harry in the UK.
In May 2023, Prince Harry faced another legal setback, losing a separate challenge seeking the right to personally pay for his police protection while in the UK. The UK’s Home Office argued against allowing wealthy individuals to purchase protective security from specialised police officers.
In January of the same year, Prince Harry abandoned a libel claim against Associated Newspapers Limited, the publisher of the Mail, on Sunday. The libel case was related to a February 2022 story about Prince Harry’s High Court case against the Home Office regarding security arrangements during visits to the UK.
In December 2023, the High Court in London ruled that Prince Harry was a victim of phone hacking and other “unlawful information gathering” by the publisher Mirror Group Newspapers
Subsequently, Prince Harry settled the remaining aspects of his phone-hacking case against MGN, with his lawyer indicating that he would receive a “substantial” payout, CNN reported. (ANI)

COMMENTS

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Israel will make its own decision to defend itself, says Benjamin Netanyahu

Netanyahu made the remark at the cabinet meeting on Wednesday after meeting with the foreign ministers of the UK and Germany.

18th April 2024
Banner
US to impose new sanctions against Iran after attack on Israel

Earlier on Saturday, Iran launched several drones and missiles towards Israel in retaliation for the alleged Israeli air strike on its consulate in Syria that resulted in the killing of Iran's three top generals

17th April 2024
Banner
India’s tariff removal on several US products benefiting farmers: Katherine Tai

Notably, the six disputes in the WTO were resolved during PM Modi's state visit to the US in June

17th April 2024
Banner
Bhutan King grants an audience to Editor-in-Chief Wasbir Hussain at Thimphu

King Wangchuck said that Assam will automatically be a cog in the wheel of the GMC Project

16th April 2024
Banner
India allows onion export to Sri Lanka, gives additional quota to UAE

Initially, India had in early December 2023 prohibited the export of onions till March 2024. The DGFT notification said the export of onions will be, however, allowed based on permission granted by the central government to other countries based on the request made by the countries.

16th April 2024