Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

No meaningful outcome of talks with China on LAC standoff, status quo remains: Rajnath Singh

First Published: 30th December, 2020 17:58 IST

Union Defence Minister on Wednesday said that no “meaningful solution” has come out of diplomatic and military level talks with China to resolve the standoff on the Line of Actual

Union Defence Minister on Wednesday said that no “meaningful solution” has come out of diplomatic and military level talks with China to resolve the standoff on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh and there is “status quo”.

In an exclusive interview with ANI Editor Smita Prakash, the Defence Minister said that if status quo continues, there cannot be a reduction in the deployment of troops.

Rajnath Singh referred to the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) meeting on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) held virtually earlier this month and said the next round of military talks can take place anytime.

“It is true that in order to reduce the standoff between India and China, talks were taking place on a military and diplomatic level. But no success has been achieved so far. There will be a next round of talks on a military level which can take place anytime. But no meaningful outcome has come and there is status quo,” he said.

“If there is status quo, it is natural how deployment can be reduced. There will be no reduction in our deployment and I fell their deployment will also not come down. I don’t think that status-quo is a positive development at all. Talks are on and they result in a positive outcome, that is our expectation,” he added.

He said hotline messages have been exchanged.

“On what issues talks will be held, an exchange of messages is taking place between the two countries,” he said.

The External Affairs had said after the WMCC meeting on December 18 that both sides agreed to maintain close consultations at the diplomatic and military level.

It said they agreed that the next (9th) round of Senior Commanders meeting should be held at an early date so that both sides can work towards early and complete disengagement of troops along the LAC in accordance with the existing bilateral agreements and protocols, and fully restore peace and tranquility. (ANI)

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Is Uploading Your Photo to AI Image Generators Including Ghibli-Style a Privacy Risk? Here’s How to Keep Your Biometric Data Safe

Ghibli-Style Image ChatGPT: As AI trends continue to grow, it is essential to stay alert about the potential risks.

02nd April 2025
Banner
A Sacred Journey, A Compassionate Heart: Anant Ambani Stops His Padayatra to Save Trapped Hens

Anant Ambani Stops His Padayatra to Save Trapped Hens: Anant Ambani seen holding a hen in front of a cage containing several trapped birds.

01st April 2025
Banner
Who is Nidhi Tewari Appointed Private Secretary to PM Modi?

Nidhi Tewari hails from Mehmurganj in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, which has been PM Narendra Modi's parliamentary constituency since 2014

01st April 2025
Banner
India hands over 50 tons of relief material to Myanmar

More than 2,000 people are now confirmed dead in Myanmar.

01st April 2025
Banner
Delicious Eid party platter ideas to impress your guests

Eud: Here are some delicious Eid party platter ideas that are sure to wow your guests

31st March 2025