India lodges strong protest with China over stapled visas to Arunachal players
First Published: 27th July, 2023 19:25 IST
"This has been something that we have discussed many years ago...", Ministry of External Affairs official spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said
India has lodged a strong protest with China for issuing stapled visas to Indian nationals from Arunachal Pradesh and termed it “unacceptable”, adding that New Delhi reserves its right to suitably respond to such actions, Ministry of External Affairs said on Thursday.
“This has been something that we have discussed many years ago. Our longstanding and consistent position is that there should be no discrimination or differential treatment on the basis of domicile or ethnicity in the visa regime for Indian citizens holding valid Indian passports,” Ministry of External Affairs official spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said.
There have been reports that China has issued stapled visas to people from Arunachal Pradesh, who were due to participate in an international sporting event in China.
“It has come to our notice that stapled visas were issued to some of our citizens representing the country in an international sporting event in China. This is unacceptable. And we have lodged our strong protest with the Chinese side reiterating our consistent position on the matter and India reserves the right to suitably respond to such actions,” he added.
According to reports, three members of India‘s Wushu team were not able to travel to China as they were issued a stapled visas since they are from Arunachal Pradesh.
Earlier in April, India outrightly rejected China‘s attempt to rename places of Arunachal Pradesh, Ministry of External Affairs official spokesperson Arindam Bagchi asserted that Arunachal Pradesh will always be an integral part of India.
The statement of Arindam Bagchi came after China‘s Ministry of Civil Affairs announced the names of 11 places in Arunachal Pradesh, which it referred to as “Zangnan, the southern part of Tibet.”
In response to media queries regarding China renaming some places in Arunachal Pradesh, Arindam Bagchi in a statement said, “We have seen such reports. This is not the first time China has made such an attempt. We reject this outright.”
He further said, “Arunachal Pradesh is, has been, and will always be an integral and inalienable part of India. Attempts to assign invented names will not alter this reality.”
MEA‘s statement came after China released names of 11 places in Arunachal Pradesh in Chinese characters, Tibetan and pinyin according to the rules on geographical names issued by the State Council, China‘s cabinet, Global Times reported. (ANI)
Also Read : Unfortunate: Arunachal wushu players miss global event over stapled visas from China
COMMENTS

TOPMOST STORY NOW

Live ILP in Meghalaya: Implementation Issues Being Discussed with Centre, Says Minister Paul Lyngdoh
05th April 2025
Live Assam: BJP-led NDA Wins 33 Seats out of 36 Seats in RHAC elections, Congress Faces Crushing Defeat
05th April 2025
Live Parliament passes 16 bills during budget session
05th April 2025
Live Zelenskyy blames Putin for rejecting ceasefire after 16 killed in Russian strikes on Ukraine’s Kryvyi Rih
05th April 2025WE RECOMMEND

Young entrepreneur buys Arunachali 𝐀𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐭 Jackie Bodo’s Deforestation-Themed Painting
Bodo has previously represented Arunachal Pradesh on a national platform as well.
04th April 2025
Arunachal Cabinet Reviews Assam Border Dispute, Approves Major Development Plans
The Cabinet decided to extend the Chief Minister’s Bal Seva Scheme (CMBSS) beyond COVID orphans.
03rd April 2025
GEPL Starts Drilling Activities in Arunachal Pradesh
GEPL operates the Kharsang oilfield in a joint venture with Oil India Limited and JEKPL
02nd April 2025
Arunachal CM Pema Khandu Unveils Rs 228 cr Projects in West Kameng District
Rs 228 cr Projects in West Kameng District: One of the crucial projects under consideration is the Shergaon to Mandala Top road.
31st March 2025
AFSPA Extended for 6 More Months in Manipur, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh, THESE Areas Declared ‘Disturbed Areas’. Details Inside
The decision to extend the Act that gives special powers to the armed forces was taken after reviewing the situation in these states
30th March 2025