India, China agree to maintain dialogue to resolve LAC standoff in eastern Ladakh
India and China on Friday agreed to maintain dialogue and communication to reach a mutually acceptable solution for complete disengagement in all friction points along the Line of Actual Control(LAC)
India and China on Friday agreed to maintain dialogue and communication to reach a mutually acceptable solution for complete disengagement in all friction points along the Line of Actual Control(LAC) in eastern Ladakh to enable progress in the overall bilateral ties.
The two countries agreed to this as they held another round of diplomatic talks to resolve the prolonged border standoff in eastern Ladakh that erupted in early May last year.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said the two sides agreed to hold the 12th round of military talks at an early date to achieve the objective of complete disengagement from all the friction points along the LAC in the western sector in accordance with the existing bilateral pacts and protocols.
The diplomatic talks took place under the framework of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC).
The MEA said the two sides had a frank exchange of views on the situation along the LAC in eastern Ladakh.
“Both sides agreed on the need to find an early resolution to the remaining issues along the LAC in eastern Ladakh keeping in view of the agreement reached between the two Foreign Ministers in September 2020,” it said.
“In this regard, the two sides agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through the diplomatic and military mechanisms to reach a mutually acceptable solution for complete disengagement from all friction points so as to ensure full restoration of peace and tranquillity to enable progress in the bilateral relations,” the MEA said in a statement.
The MEA said it was also agreed that in the interim, the two sides will continue to ensure stability on the ground and prevent any untoward incident.
“The two sides agreed to hold the next round of the Senior Commanders meeting at an early date to achieve the objective of complete disengagement from all the friction points along the LAC in the Western Sector in accordance with the existing bilateral agreements and protocols,” the ministry added.
First Published: 25th June, 2021 22:12 IST
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live Arunachal: Suspected NSCN-KYA kidnaps Gaon Panchayat Chairman from Tirap23rd May 2022
Live Sikkim observes 12th Chogyal’s birth centenary; Guv participates23rd May 2022
Live Heung-min becomes 1st Asian player to win Premier League Golden Boot23rd May 2022
Live PM Narendra Modi attends Quad Summit in Tokyo23rd May 2022
Live Widespread rubber plantation harmful for Tripura’s diversity: Pollution Board chair23rd May 2022
Indian flag installed at UNSC as India begins eighth term as non-permanent member
The Indian national flag was installed at the United National Security Council (UNSC) stakeout on Monday as India has started its tenure at the UN body for the eighth time as a non-permanent member. “As India assumes the membership of the Security Council for the eighth time, it is an honour for me as the […]05th January 2021
CWC rejects Rahul Gandhi’s offer to step down as Congress president
Rahul Gandhi offered to resign as the Congress President following the party’s drubbing in the Lok Sabha elections. A crucial Congress Working Committee (CWC) meet was held at the national capital to take a call on the Congress President’s decision to step down. However, the Congress high command rejected Gandhi’s resignation and expressed faith on […]25th May 2019
Sikkim, Tripura gears up for vaccination for 15-18 year olds
In line with the rest of the country, vaccinations for 15-18-year-olds in Sikkim is scheduled to start from the 3rd of January using Covaxin. This was informed in the health department’s daily health bulletin. The bulletin also informed that current slot registrations will only be available on the CoWin platform from the 1st of January. […]29th December 2021
COVID-19: Mizoram govt to impose 2-week total lockdown from June 9
In view of the prevailing COVID-19 situation, the Mizoram government on Monday decided to impose a 2-week total lockdown in the state starting from June 9. The lockdown guidelines will be notified later today. The decision was taken after a consultative meeting chaired by Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga. CM Zoramthanga taking to Twitter said that […]08th June 2020
NSCN-IM unhappy with alleged delay tactics of Government of India
With no hopes of progress in talks between the NSCN-IM and the Government of India in the recent months, the outfit has released a letter written by General Secretary Thuingaleng Muivah to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 25. The letter written back in February this year sought facilitation of talks outside India in a […]06th October 2020