Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

China officially admits five military officers, soldiers killed in Galwan clash with Indian Army

First Published: 19th February, 2021 14:19 IST

Five Chinese military officers and soldiers were killed in last year’s Galwan Valley clash in eastern Ladakh with the Indian Army, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) officially acknowledged for the

Five Chinese military officers and soldiers were killed in last year’s Galwan Valley clash in eastern Ladakh with the Indian Army, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) officially acknowledged for the first time on Friday.

Five Chinese frontier officers and soldiers stationed in the Karakoram Mountains have been recognized by the Central Military Commission of China (CMC) for their sacrifice in the border confrontation with India, which occurred in the Galwan Valley in June 2020, the PLA Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese military reported on Friday.

Those killed included Qi Fabao, the regimental commander from the PLA Xinjiang Military Command, state-un Global Times quoted PLA Daily report as saying.

A total of 20 Indian soldiers died in the Galwan Valley clash on June 15, regarded as the worst in over four decades at the India-China border.

The CMC, the overall high command of the PLA headed by President Xi Jinping,has awarded Qi Fabao, the regimental commander from the PLA Xinjiang Military Command, the title of “Hero regimental commander for defending the border,” Chen Hongjun with “Hero to defend the border,” and awarded first-class merit to Chen Xiangrong, Xiao Siyuan and Wang Zhuoran.

This is the first time China has acknowledged casualties and details of these officers and soldiers” sacrifice, four of whom died when dealing with the Indian military”s “illegal trespassing” of the Galwan Valley Line of Actual Control (LAC), the report said.

A total of 20 Indian soldiers died in the Galwan Valley clash regarded as the worst in over four decades at the India-China border.

While India has announced the casualties immediately after the incident, China did not officially acknowledge the casualties until Friday.

The Russian official news agency TASS reported on February 10 that 45 Chinese servicemen were killed in the Galwan Valley clash.

Qian Feng, director of the research department at the National Strategy Institute at Tsinghua University, told the Global Times that China unveiled the details of the incident to refute previous “disinformation” that stated China suffered greater casualties than India or China incited the incident.

The admission of the casualties by the PLA coincides with the disengagement of troops by both sides at the North and South banks of the Pangong Lake, the most contentious part of the standoff which began in May last year. PTI

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Is Uploading Your Photo to AI Image Generators Including Ghibli-Style a Privacy Risk? Here’s How to Keep Your Biometric Data Safe

Ghibli-Style Image ChatGPT: As AI trends continue to grow, it is essential to stay alert about the potential risks.

02nd April 2025
Banner
A Sacred Journey, A Compassionate Heart: Anant Ambani Stops His Padayatra to Save Trapped Hens

Anant Ambani Stops His Padayatra to Save Trapped Hens: Anant Ambani seen holding a hen in front of a cage containing several trapped birds.

01st April 2025
Banner
Who is Nidhi Tewari Appointed Private Secretary to PM Modi?

Nidhi Tewari hails from Mehmurganj in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, which has been PM Narendra Modi's parliamentary constituency since 2014

01st April 2025
Banner
India hands over 50 tons of relief material to Myanmar

More than 2,000 people are now confirmed dead in Myanmar.

01st April 2025
Banner
Delicious Eid party platter ideas to impress your guests

Eud: Here are some delicious Eid party platter ideas that are sure to wow your guests

31st March 2025