Centre shelves decision to privatise NRL, NEEPCO to merge with NTPC
The government has announced that the Numaligarh refinery will remain under government’s control and will not be privatised. Finance Ministry on Wednesday gave in-principle approval for the sale of its
The government has announced that the Numaligarh refinery will remain under government’s control and will not be privatised.
Finance Ministry on Wednesday gave in-principle approval for the sale of its stake in five Corporate Public Social Enterprises, including Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Shipping Corporation of India and Container Corporation of India.
The approval paves the way for the government to sell 53.2 per cent of its stake in BPCL. But this will not include BPCL’s equity shareholding in Numaligharh Refinery.
The BPCL holds 61.65% share of NRL. The remaining 38.35% share is held by Assam government and Oil India Limited.
Massive protests over the past couple of months triggered the move. Locals staged protest fearing economic slow-down and unemployment as well as other socio-economic problems.
Infact, opposition Congress had also been actively spearheading protests after centre earlier proposed privatization of NRL.
Apart from BPCL, the government has also approved disinvestment in four other central public sector enterprises that includes the likes of Shipping corporation of India, Container corporation of India, THDC India and North Eastern Electronic power Corporation Limited NEEPCO.
NEEPCO will now be merged with NTPC. Government has decided to sell its 74.23% stake in NEEPCO along with management control to state run NTPC.
First Published: 21st November, 2019 22:34 IST
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live Watch | Northeast Tonight | Battle for Tripura￼29th September 2022
Live 3-day celebration to observe district day in Dibrugarh01st October 2022
Live Nagaland Ad Hoc teachers to continue with indefinite hunger strike01st October 2022
Live Festive fervour grips Assam on Maha Shashti01st October 2022
Live Russia has 4 new regions, Putin declares annexing Ukrainian lands01st October 2022
Festive fervour grips Assam on Maha Shashti
Today is Maha Shashti, and this auspicious occasion marks the commencement of Durga Puja festivities wherein devotees welcome Goddess Durga with pomp and gusto. Today, Goddess Durga’s deity is unveiled in front of the public. Several rituals are performed while the ‘dhakis’ keep the mood and spirit of the puja alive by playing the ‘dhak’—a […]01st October 2022
Over 80 families from Haflong seek fair compensation for 2 way Assam Mala project
Uncertainty looms large over the construction of the 2 way Assam Mala project from Haflong Tinali to Lower Haflong in Dima Hasao as over 80 families have knocked on the doors of the Gauhati High Court, seeking fair compensation for their land and crops. Families whose land, gardens, and crops stand to be lost as […]30th September 2022
Magnitude 5.6 earthquake strikes Myanmar, tremors felt in parts of NE
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar today, in wee hours. The tremors are felt in parts of the northeast including Manipur, Nagaland and Southern Assam. According to the National Centre For Seismology, the earthquake hit Myanmar at 3:52 am at a depth of 140 km. Also Read : Assam: DC, ADC of Hojai suspended following misbehaviour […]30th September 2022
India vs SA T20: Both teams are set to hold practice session at Barsapara stadium today
Cricket fever has gripped Assam. After an impressive show in the first T20 against South Africa, India will be keen to deliver once again in the second T20. After arriving in Guwahati yesterday, the Indian cricket team and the South African team are all set to hold their respective practice sessions at the Barsapara stadium […]30th September 2022