Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

Assam-Meghalaya border talks to resume next month: Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma

First Published: 5th September, 2024 14:48 IST

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday informed that the second phase of border talks for resolving the border dispute in the remaining six areas between Meghalaya and Assam

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday informed that the second phase of border talks for resolving the border dispute in the remaining six areas between Meghalaya and Assam is likely to resume next month (October).

Speaking to media, CM Sangma revealed that he had discussed the matter with the Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma about a month back.

“We have both decided that at the earliest we expect that maybe in the month of October we should be able to have the next round (of meeting),” he said.

He further said, “Things are complex because it’s a very sensitive area so we will see how we will go forward. We are being sensitive and careful as we move forward in locations like Langpih, Psiar, Khanduli, Block I and Block II”.

“Though our desire and intention is as firm as before, but because of the sensitiveness of the locations, we really want to be careful as we move forward so that we are able to resolve it in a proper way and in a way in which we are able to create the right consensus also,” he added.

The six sectors where disputes remain are Langpih, Borduar, Nongwah-Mawtamur, Desh Doomreah, Block 1 & Block II, and Psiar-Khanduli.

Earlier in July, Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said that the regional committees for West Jaintia Hills District will be meeting very soon.

Submissions of report by the three regional committees on inter-state boundary issue to the Meghalaya government have been extended till September 30. This was informed through a notification issued by the Home (Political) Department on July 10.

The Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya on May 24 last year had initiated the second phase of talks to resolve disputes in the six remaining sectors along the 884.9 km border boundary between the two States.

It may be mentioned that both the states made a breakthrough in the first phase of border talks after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and his Meghalaya counterpart Conrad K.
Sangma signed an agreement on March 29, 2022, in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah to formally end disputes in six other sectors along the border.

Also Watch

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Cricket Icon Sachin Tendulkar Along With His Wife And Daughter Arrives in Guwahati for a Week-Long Visit to Assam and Meghalaya

Sachin Tendulkar: During their two-day stay in Kaziranga, the Tendulkar family will enjoy both jeep and elephant safaris.

03rd April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya Governor Constitutes Two All-Party Committees on Railway Projects in State and Winter Capital in Tura

Railway Projects and Winter Capital: Both committees will comprise of 2 representatives from each of recognised, registered political parties.

03rd April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya FC Secures 3rd Place at 2nd Edition of Indo-French Tournament in Paris

Meghalaya FC: Sangma also acknowledged the team’s perseverance and highlighted their previous success as runners-up in the Subroto Cup.

02nd April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya Puts Wine Shop Licences on Hold, New Mechanism Soon Says Excise Minister Kyrmen Shylla

Meghalaya Puts Wine Shop Licences on Hold: The placement of wine shops is being scrutinised to ensure regulatory compliance.

02nd April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya: 7 Pressure Groups Revive CoMSO to Push for Key Issues Affecting State

Revive CoMSO: 7 pressure groups from different regions of Meghalaya have come together to revive the CoMSO.

01st April 2025