Morocco quake death toll passes 2800, rescue operation underway
First Published: 12th September, 2023 9:24 IST
The traditional mud brick buildings that were common in the area, according to rescuers, limited the odds of locating survivors because they had disintegrated.
The death toll in the Morocco earthquake has passed 2800 after a powerful 6.8 earthquake hit the country on Friday last week, Al Jazeera reported.
The rescue operation is still underway in the country in order to find the survivors.
Search and rescue teams from Spain, the United Kingdom, and Qatar have joined Moroccan rescue efforts after a magnitude 6.8 earthquake slammed the High Atlas Mountains late Friday, with the epicentre 72 kilometres (45 miles) southwest of Marrakesh, according to Al Jazeera.
According to state television, the death toll has grown to 2,862, with 2,562 people injured.
The traditional mud brick buildings that were common in the area, according to rescuers, limited the odds of locating survivors because they had disintegrated.
Nearly every building in the mountain village of Tafeghaghte, which is 60 kilometres (37 miles) from Marrakesh, has been destroyed due to the quake. Both survivors and the bodies of the deceased were sought by civilian rescuers and Moroccan military personnel.
Earlier on Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the loss of lives in the quake.
Taking to X, PM Modi said, “Extremely pained by the loss of lives due to an earthquake in Morocco. In this tragic hour, my thoughts are with the people of Morocco. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. May the injured recover at the earliest. India is ready to offer all possible assistance to Morocco in this difficult time.”
The earthquake took place at 03:41:01 (UTC+05:30) at a depth of 18.5 km. The magnitude of the earthquake caused pulses to travel from Sidi Ifni in the south to Rabat in the north and beyond. (ANI)
Also Read: Rescuers continue to search for survivors after Morocco quake claims over 2000 lives
COMMENTS

TOPMOST STORY NOW

Live Cricket Icon Sachin Tendulkar Along With His Wife And Daughter Arrives in Guwahati for a Week-Long Visit to Assam and Meghalaya
03rd April 2025
Live Assam’s Top Civilian Awards 2024: Lt Gen (Retd) Rana Pratap Kalita Honored with Assam Baibhav, 19 Others Recognized for Their Contributions
03rd April 2025
Live Meghalaya Governor Constitutes Two All-Party Committees on Railway Projects in State and Winter Capital in Tura
03rd April 2025
Live West Bengal and Sikkim Governments Sign MoU to Boost Inter-State Tourism
03rd April 2025WE RECOMMEND

“…You are not treating us right”: Trump announces 26% tariffs on India
Trump's announcement came while he addressed the Make America Wealthy Again Event.
03rd April 2025
“May God Shower Blessings Upon India and Its Leadership!”: Myanmar Locals Hail Operation Brahma
Myanmar Quake: The locals have hailed India's aid and support in this time of distress, expressed thanks for the Indian efforts underway.
02nd April 2025
Tariffs will go into effect immediately, says White House
Meanwhile, recently, Trump said that he had heard that India was dropping its tariffs on American goods substantially.
02nd April 2025
US sanctions target Iran’s UAV, ballistic missile programs
On Monday, the US imposed visa restrictions on Chinese officials responsible for limiting the access of US officials to Tibetan areas.
02nd April 2025
Bill Gates Would Like to Invite These Indian Leaders-Dead or Alive for Dinner
“It’s hard to choose,” Bill Gates admitted, reiterating that India is home to “so many incredible talents.”
01st April 2025