Sikkim Govt to improve tourism experience in the state
First Published: 19th January, 2023 9:59 IST
Govt likely to standardise taxi fares, improve roads to boost tourism in the state
In a bid to boost the tourism sector in the state, the Sikkim tourism department has decided to take steps to improve the tourism experience of people visiting the state and ensure ease of doing business for local taxi operators, tour and travel agencies.
With this in mind, Additional Chief Secretary Tourism and Civil Aviation Department, M.L. Srivastav, chaired a coordination meeting with stakeholders and various line departments to discuss the issues concerning the tourism industry yesterday.
The main objective of the meeting was to discuss tourist facilitation, provision of comfort of tourists upon arrival in Sikkim, and ease of business favouring local taxi drivers and tourist agencies of the State.
During the meeting, various issues regarding the standardization of taxi fares, evaluation of the road condition of the State, and the status of Pakyong Greenfield airport, were elaborately reviewed and discussed.
The modification of the marketing plan for Sikkim to participate in International and National trade shows and the launching of new destinations and trek routes throughout the State were also part of the meeting agenda.
The stakeholders shared their grievances with the officials of various line departments and shared suggestions at great length during the meeting. Some of them are as follows:
- Permit to local taxis as a tourist vehicles in major destinations.
- Inclusion of tourist buses to major destinations to maximize tourist outreach.
- Compulsory well-defined rate charts to be installed in taxis and luxury vehicles, which are to be monitored periodically by the concerned officials.
- Only registered tourism agencies can operate tours around the State.
- Travel agencies to charge the same rate as prescribed by the Government.
- Sensitization of rates of major destinations around the State to tourists through Govt portals and Govt audio-visual media houses.
- Change of name of Green lake, located between Zemu Glacier to Khangchendzonga Base Camp.
- Introduction of new destinations and trekking routes brochure with QR codes which will provide information about hotels, transport details, opening and closing times of venues, road maps, tour guide information, and emergency numbers. These brochures are to be distributed to the tourists on arrival in Sikkim.
- Introducing new tourist destinations and trekking sites in Goecha La, Menmecho Lake, and Bhaley Dunga.
- Names of destinations to be approved by the Tourism and Civil Aviation Department to avoid confusion among tourists. Revival of milestones with proper regional names.
- Installment of Tourist Police and Tourist Directorate in the coming days.
Additional Chief Secretary of Tourism and Civil Aviation Department, M.L. Srivastav, took note of the suggestions and assured that they would be forwarded to the higher authority and co-ordinated with various line departments for implementation. It was also informed that a meeting would take place in the coming days, including line departments and tourism stakeholders from all six districts, for feedback and suggestions.
Srivastava expressed his satisfaction in conducting a fruitful meeting and requested coordination from line departments and stakeholders to boost the tourism industry in the State. He hoped for such meetings in the future and thanked the government officials and stakeholders for their constructive feedback.
The officials present in the meeting included Special Secretary of Tourism and Civil Aviation Department, Ms. Karma Doma Youtso, Additional Secretary, Ms. Bandana Chettri, Additional Chief Engineer, Roads and Bridges Department, Jigmee Wangyal Bhutia, S.D.P.O. Gangtok, Prakash Subba, RTO Transport Department, R. Pradhan, President TAAS, S. Wangyal Lachungpa, President ASTHA, Suman Chettri, Central Joint Action Committee Local Taxi (Gangtok) President, Bhaichung Bhutia,All Sikkim Luxury Vehicle Owner-cum-Driver’s Welfare Association President, Bhuwan Pradhan, Officers from various line departments, concerned Government officials, representatives from SAATO, SUTO and various travel and driver’s association.
TOPMOST STORY NOW
Live SPL DGP GP Singh to be next Assam DGP28th January 2023
Live TANTRIKS ON A PYRE IN GUWAHATI28th January 2023
Live 𝗡𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗣𝗼𝗹𝗹𝘀 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 | 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗩𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗩𝗼𝘁𝗲 — 𝗢𝘂𝗿 𝗦𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗲𝗴𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗼𝗻 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗣𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗪𝗮𝗻𝘁28th January 2023
Live MEET THE ASSAM FAMILY WHO HAS BEEN CONSERVING BATS FOR OVER 30 YEARS28th January 2023
Fmr SDF leader Ganesh Rai launches Citizen Action Party, to contest 2024 Assembly Polls
The party was launched today in Melli, Ganesh Rai’s home constituency in South Sikkim, on the occasion of Republic Day. The party has been launched without a flag26th January 2023
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Lil Champ Jetshen comes home to cheers and applause
Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang along with Ministers, MLAs other senior officials and hordes of common people welcomed the nine-year-old singing sensation of Sikkim25th January 2023
Sikkim Govt forms high powered committee to examine allegations of Sikkim Services (Combined Recruitment) Prelim Exams 2022
The high level committee has been asked to submit its report within 21 days23rd January 2023
Political violence in Sikkim: SDF workers allegedly attacked by SKM workers in CM Golay’s constituency
Speaking to Northeast Live, SDF spokesperson JB Darnal said that it was a narrow escape for him and others as they came under the unprecedented attack.23rd January 2023