Northeast India’s Only English and Hindi Satellite News Channel

Assam-Meghalaya border talks to resume next month: Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma

First Published: 5th September, 2024 14:48 IST

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday informed that the second phase of border talks for resolving the border dispute in the remaining six areas between Meghalaya and Assam

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday informed that the second phase of border talks for resolving the border dispute in the remaining six areas between Meghalaya and Assam is likely to resume next month (October).

Speaking to media, CM Sangma revealed that he had discussed the matter with the Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma about a month back.

“We have both decided that at the earliest we expect that maybe in the month of October we should be able to have the next round (of meeting),” he said.

He further said, “Things are complex because it’s a very sensitive area so we will see how we will go forward. We are being sensitive and careful as we move forward in locations like Langpih, Psiar, Khanduli, Block I and Block II”.

“Though our desire and intention is as firm as before, but because of the sensitiveness of the locations, we really want to be careful as we move forward so that we are able to resolve it in a proper way and in a way in which we are able to create the right consensus also,” he added.

The six sectors where disputes remain are Langpih, Borduar, Nongwah-Mawtamur, Desh Doomreah, Block 1 & Block II, and Psiar-Khanduli.

Earlier in July, Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said that the regional committees for West Jaintia Hills District will be meeting very soon.

Submissions of report by the three regional committees on inter-state boundary issue to the Meghalaya government have been extended till September 30. This was informed through a notification issued by the Home (Political) Department on July 10.

The Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya on May 24 last year had initiated the second phase of talks to resolve disputes in the six remaining sectors along the 884.9 km border boundary between the two States.

It may be mentioned that both the states made a breakthrough in the first phase of border talks after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and his Meghalaya counterpart Conrad K.
Sangma signed an agreement on March 29, 2022, in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah to formally end disputes in six other sectors along the border.

Also Watch

COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WE RECOMMEND

Banner
Meghalaya SSLC 2025 Results Out: Records Historic 87.10% Pass Rate

This year, 63,682 students appeared for the examination held from February 10 to 25.

05th April 2025
Banner
ILP in Meghalaya: Implementation Issues Being Discussed with Centre, Says Minister Paul Lyngdoh

He also acknowledged that the Centre has raised important questions, particularly considering Meghalaya’s role as a transit state in the Northeast.

05th April 2025
Banner
Meghalaya Govt Has Started Process to Return Funds to Centre Meant For Land Acquisition for Rail Projects: CM Sangma

The funds being returned were for land acquisition related to the proposed railway project in Khasi Hills, including the Byrnihat–Shillong route

04th April 2025
Banner
HYC Storms NEIGRIHMS Director’s Office, Demands Review Parity in Men-Women Recruitment

The protestors caught the director off guard with their surprise gherao, compelling him to step out of his office and address their concerns directly.

04th April 2025
Banner
Ryndia: Meghalaya’s Soulful Silk Gets GI Tag. Here’s All You Need to Know About This Fabric

In Shillong, the heartbeat of Meghalaya’s creative pulse, Ryndia has long been a canvas for expression

04th April 2025