In a tragic incident, a massive fire broke out at Goalpara civil hospital’s paediatric ICU ward today morning.
Few of the infants admitted to the paediatric ICU sustained minor burn injuries while some of them with serious injuries were taken to Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH).
After the fire broke out and witnessed smoke, shaken parents of the babies were seen rushing here and there fearing the sudden incident.
At the time of the fire,14 newborns were being taken care of in the paediatric ICU and other infants have been shifted to another ward of the hospital.
On receiving information about the incident, fire tenders rushed to the spot immediately and doused the flame before it could spread any further.
The cause of the fire is suspected to have been sparked by an electrical short circuit.
Moreover, Goalpara district deputy commissioner Meenakshi Das Nath visited the hospital and took stock of the situation.