Under pressure from the opposition, the Meghalaya government on Friday agreed to examine the demand for an enquiry into instances of illegal coal mining in the state despite a ban in place.
Even after 3 days, there is still no trace of the trapped laborers in the tragedy-hit coal mine in the Sutnga area of Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district. While inclement weather delayed rescue operations by over 24 hours, there has been no success for the rescuers so far.
Talking to newsmen, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said as per the law, appropriate action will be taken against those who were involved in illegal coal mining in the state. Sangma said that efforts are being made by the state government to ensure that no such illegal activities take place.
Regarding the status of the operation to rescue the trapped miners, the chief minister said that the government was doing all it could to bring them out safely. Pointing out that the rain had made it difficult for the rescue team, he said, “We hope that with the rain stopping, there will be some scope for us to work.”
He also said that he has personally requested the home minister to visit the site and monitor the rescue operations
It may be mentioned that at least 5 laborers are trapped in the ill-fated mine after a dynamite blast led to the incident on the evening of May 30th.