ONGC employee Ritul Saikia, who was abducted from an oil field in Assam’s Sivasagar district last month, has been released by the banned United Liberation Front of Asom-Independent (ULFA-I) near the Indo-Myanmar border in Nagaland on Saturday morning.

Saikia, who was abducted by the ULFA-I on April 21 along with two other ONGC employees, was picked up by security personnel from Longwa in Nagaland’s Mon district.

This comes just a day after the banned outfit’s Commander-in-Chief Paresh Baruah told in a telephonic conversation with our group channel News Live that Saikia would be released in a matter of days, after a a fervent appeal made by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.

While the two other employees were rescued by security forces following an encounter in Nagaland on April 24, Saikia went missing. ULFA-I chief Paresh Baruah later admitted that Ritul is in good health and he would be released soon.

Following the release of Saikia, Himanta Biswa Sarma said that he hopes an era of peace and development is firmly established in the state with the cooperation of one and all.

He also thanked Union Home Minister Amit Shah for his constant support and guidance.

“Heartily welcome release of Ritul Saikia, ONGC employee abducted by ULFA, early today! Grateful to Honble UHM @AmitShah for constant guidance. Hope an era of peace & development is firmly established in state with cooperation of one and all. Pray to Almighty for His Blessings,” Sarma writes on Twitter.

Speaking to media persons, Assam director general of police (DGP), Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta thanked Himanta Biswa Sarma for the safe release of the ONGC employee.