The much awaited portfolio allocation for the new Assam Cabinet is out and while some of the ministers retained their departments the list does throw up a few surprises.
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma will be holding the portfolios of Home, Personnel, PWD and any other department not allotted to any other minister. Sarma along with a 13-member council of ministers was sworn in by Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi on Monday.
The portfolios will be officially allocated to the ministers in the cabinet meeting scheduled to be held at 6 pm today.
State BJP president Ranjeet Kr Dass who represents the Patacharkuchi constituency has been given charge of Panchayat & Rural Development, Public Health Engineering, Food & Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs.
AGP president and former Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary minister Atul Bora has been given charge of the same departments held in previous government, along with Border Area Development and Assam Accord Implementation departments.
Newly elected BPF MLA Urkhao Gwra Brahma will handle Cooperation Handloom & Textile, Soil Conservation, Welfare of Plain Tribe & Backward Classes (BTC).
Former Transport and Industries & Commerce Chandra Mohan Patowary Minister has retained his two portfolios of the previous government and has been given charge of Skill Development and Welfare of Minorities department.
Former Environment & Forests and Excise minister Parimal Shuklabaidya has been given charge of the same departments along with Fisheries.
AGP’s Keshab Mahanta who represents the Kaliabor seat will be in charge of Health & Family Welfare, Science & Technology and Information Technology departments.
Dhemaji MLA Ranuj Pegu will take over the Education, Welfare of Plain Tribe & Backward Classes (non-BTC) department.
Here is the full list of Himanta Biswa Sarma’s cabinet:
- Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, Chief Minister, Assam – Home, Personnel, PWD, and any other Department not allotted to any other Minister
- Ranjit Kumar Dass, Minister – Panchayat & Rural Development, Public Health Engineering, Food & Civil Supplies, and Consumer Affairs
- Atul Bora, Minister – Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary, Border Area Development, Implementation of Assam Accord, Cooperation
- Urkhao Gwra Brahma, Minister – Handloom & Textile, Soil Conservation, Welfare of Plain Tribe & Backward Classes (BTC)
- Chandra Mohan Patowary, Minister – Transport, Industries & Commerce, Skill Development, Welfare of Minorities
- Parimal Shuklabaidya, Minister – Environment & Forests, Fisheries, Excise
- Keshab Mahanta, Minister – Health & Family Welfare, Science & Technology, Information Technology
- Ranuj Pegu, Minister – Education, Welfare of Plain Tribe & Backward Classes (non-BTC)
- Ashok Singhal, Minister – Guwahati Development, Urban Development, Irrigation
- Jogen Mohan, Minister – Revenue & Disaster Management, Hills Area Development, Mines & Minerals
- Sanjay Kishan, Minister – Welfare of Tea Tribes, Labour & Employment
- Ajanta Neog, Minister – Social Welfare, Finance
- Pijush Hazarika, Minister – Water Resources, Information & Public Relations, Parliamentary Affairs
- Bimal Bora, Minister – Sports & Youth Welfare, Cultural Affairs, Power, Tourism