The indefinite shutdown in Nagaland’s Peren district took a violent turn on Wednesday after miscreants burnt down the Additional Deputy Commissioner’s vehicle. The incident took place in Jalukie town and as per inputs several other vehicles were also burnt down.
The bandh called by the Zeilangrong Youth Front (Zeilangrong Youth Front) in protest against the recent killings of three persons in the district had entered its second day today.
Reacting on the violent incident, ZYF president R John Zeliang said that the organisation had called for the indefinite shutdown to protest against the alleged indifferent attitude of the police in booking those behind the March 22 incident.
Speaking to our colleague Sarah Konyak over the phone, the ZYF president said that they had already notified the district administration on the indefinite bandh which restricted even government vehicles from plying on the roads in Peren district and the Deputy Commissioner had assured for full cooperation. He said that the ADC’s vehicle was not on official duty when the incident took place.
It was also pointed out that the ADC was not in the vehicle during the time of the attack.
John Zeliang further said that their demands are primarily the arrest of the culprits involved in the recent killing of three persons at Lamhainandi village on March 22.
It may be mentioned that three people were brutally murdered by some armed miscreants in Lamhainandi village under Peren district. While the police have arrested three suspects in connection with the case, the youth body has alleged that the pace of investigation is slow.