The nomination papers of the 28 of the total 408 candidates for the second phase of Assam Assembly elections have been rejected during scrutiny, a spokesperson of the office of the Chief Electoral Officer said on Tuesday.

Altogether 408 candidates had filed their nominations for the 39 constituencies going to polls on April 1 and 28 of these were rejected during scrutiny on Monday, the spokesperson said.

The last date of withdrawal for the second phase is March 17.

Meanwhile, seven candidates have filed their nominations so far for the third and final phase of polls, scheduled on March six and these include Kokrajhar Lok Sabha MP Naba Kumar Sarania from Barama as an Independent and former three-time AGP MLA Bhupen Roy from Abhayapuri North.

The last date of filing of nominations for the third phase is March 19, scrutiny is on March 20 and the last date for withdrawal on March 22.

There are 267 contestants in the fray for the first phase of elections to 47 constituencies to be held on March 27.

The prominent candidates in the fray in the first phase are Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal (Majuli), Speaker Hitendra Nath Goswami (Jorhat), ministers Ranjit Dutta (Behali), Naba Kumar Doley (Jonai) and Sanjoy Kishan (Tinsukia), along with AGP ministers Atul Bora (Bokakhat) and Keshab Mahanta (Kaliabor).

Assam Pradesh Congress Committee President Ripun Bora (Gohpur), Congress Legislature Party leader Debabrata Saikia (Nazira), AICC secretary Bhupen Borah (Bihpuria) and former ministers Bharat Narah (Naoboicha), Pranatee Phukan (Naharkatia), Rakibul Hussain (Samaguri) and Bismita Gogoi (Khumtai) are contesting in the first phase.