A total of 119 recipients have been conferred with the Padma Awards for their excellent contribution in the fields of social work, public affairs, art, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education and sports among others.
This year, seven personalities have been named for Padma Vibhushan, 10 for Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri awards.
Padma Awards – one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
As many as 15 personalities from the region have been conferred the award this year. Among others, former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi has been awarded Padma Bhushan posthumously for his service to public affairs.
Apart from that, others who have been named for Padma Shri from Assam are Lakhimi Baruah who single-handedly established an all-women bank and anti-witch-hunting crusader Birubala Rabha for social work, Gopiram Bargayn Burabhakat and Dulal Manki for art, Bijoya Chakravarty for public affairs, Mangal Singh Hazowary and Imran Shah for literature and education besides Roman Sarmah for literature, education and journalism.
Rewben Mashangva and Radhe Devi from Manipur have been named for Padma Shri for art. Arunachal Pradesh’s world record-holder mountaineer Anshu Jamsenpa for sports, Sangkhumi Bualchhuak of Mizoram for social work and Satyaram Reang from Tripura for art, have also been featured in the list of Padma Shri.
The awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year.
Here's the list of the recipients:
- Shri Tarun Gogoi (Posthumous) – Public Affairs – Assam
- Ms. Lakhimi Baruah – Social Work – Assam
- Shri Gopiram Bargayn Burabhakat – Art – Assam
- Bijoya Chakravarty – Public Affairs – Assam
- Ms. Sangkhumi Bualchhuak – Social Work – Mizoram
- Ms. Radhe Devi – Art – Manipur
- Shri Mangal Singh Hazowary – Literature and Education – Assam
- Ms. Anshu Jamsenpa – Sports – Arunachal Pradesh
- Shri Dulal Manki – Art – Assam
- Shri Nanadro B Marak – Others – Agriculture Meghalaya
- Shri Rewben Mashangva – Art – Manipur
- Ms. Birubala Rabha – Social Work – Assam
- Shri Satyaram Reang – Art – Tripura
- Shri Roman Sarmah – Literature and Education, Journalism – Assam
- Shri Imran Shah – Literature and Education – Assam