The Assam Public Works has written to the Supreme Court requesting it to not accept the recommendations made by State NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela in a sealed report urging the apex Court to exclude 5 documents from the NRC Update Process.
The APW in its affidavit to the Supreme Court urged that the suggestions of the State NRC Coordinator may not be accepted at this stage as 90 percent work of the NRC update process has been completed.
It said that any change in acceptability of documents may cause great injustice to large section of people.
The Assam Public Works in its affidavit further stated that acceptance of the suggestions made by NRC Coordinator will raise questions in the minds of the general public about the sanctity of the NRC process.
Moreover, the APW has suggested formation of a High-level monitoring committee to oversee the work of Sample re-verification of at least 10 percent of the names included in the Final draft NRC and also claims and objections.
The APW has also suggested some names for the proposed High level monitoring committee that includes –
1. Former Chief Election Commissioner – HS Brahma
2. Former Gauhati High Court Judge – Biplob Sarma
3. Former Assam Sahitya Sabha President – Kanak Sen Deka
4. Former IAS officer – AK Absar Ali Hazarika
5. Former Assam DGP – GM Srivastava
6. Brigader (Retd) Ranjeet Borthakur
7. Member of Assam Population Policy Control – Illias Ali
8. Social Activist – Pradeep Kumar Bhuyan
9. Senior Supreme Court Advocate – Upamanyu Hazarika
10. Senior Advocate Kamal Nayan Choudhury.