The Supreme Court today deferred hearing into the commencement of the process of receiving claims and objections for the National Register of Citizens.
A bench of justices Ranjan Gogoi and R F Nariman perused the report of NRC coordinator Pratik Hajela in which he said that 10 out of 15 documents provided in list A can be relied upon by a claimant for staking claim in the state’s list of citizens.
The bench asked Attorney General K K Venugopal, appearing for the Centre, and other stakeholders to file their response on the report of Hajela in two weeks and posted the matter for further hearing on September 19.
Earlier on August 28, the apex court had said that it could consider a re-verification of 10 per cent of the people who were recently included in Assam’s draft NRC, an exercise that could be carried out by an independent team.
The top court had termed the issue as “human problem with great magnitude” and had asked the state NRC coordinator to submit a report in a sealed cover on the ramification of allowing the claimants to file new sets of legacy documents.